Thursday, September 4, 2008

Review: The Deli Express Posada Beef Chimichanga

A couple of days ago I was out running errands and running late on lunch. I decided to stop at the local C store and see if they had a slice of pizza. They didn't, so I decided to look at their selection of Deli Express sandwiches and burritos. I quickly settled on a Posada Beef Chimichanga with shredded beef, green chili and cheese. As I started eating the "chimi" after popping it in the microwave, I said to myself, "I should do a review blog post on this."

Well, here's the post, and here's my review. The "chimi" had a very good flavor, and I felt it was large enough to be a meal with a drink. The combination of ingredients is great, and the blend or ratio was very good. The price was good, also, for what I got ($1.99).

There was only one characteristic of the product that I felt was less than desirable. To me, a "chimi" should be cooked golden brown and crunchy. My "chimi" was not nearly crunchy enough for me. In fact, it was more like a burrito with a soft tortilla. Nor exactly a perfect score, but I would probably eat another one since I really like this combination of ingredients, and the overall quality of the food was good.

When I got home (I brought the wrapper with me), I decided to do a little research on Deli Express. A very interesting story. Here's a short version for you.

Back in 2001, Deli Express was voted Vendor of the Year by the Convenience Store Industry and inducted into the Convenience Store Industry Hall of Fame. In the Hall of Fame are other companies including Anheuser-Busch, Frito Lay and Coca-Cola - pretty good company by anyone's standards.

Now it's 7 years later, and Deli Express is still going strong. They have better variety, even fresher products and new package design. Founded in 1955, Deli Express products can be found in over 25,000 convenience stores and other food outlets across the U.S. Today, as a division of E. A. Sween Company, Deli Express is positioned to continue its course of improved products, improved variety and solid business growth.

From their headquarters in Eden Prairie, Minnesota (some would say the "heartland of America"), they want to continue winning the hearts of sandwich, burrito and chimichanga eaters all across the land, and I'm betting they will do it. A lot of sandwich companies have come and gone since 1955. It appears that Deli Express has "the right stuff."

Does your favorite C store carry Deli Express Posada Beef Chimichangas with shredded beef, green chili and cheese? If not, ask if they can get them for you. You might be surprised, and, yes, I am ending this post this way on purpose. Just had to get that part in there one more time about the shredded beef, green chili and cheese. Yum!

No comments: