Saturday, August 23, 2008

Don Battales, Aerospace Engineer and Jalapeno Pepper Grower

Don Battales grows jalapenos in Northern Thailand and in Kunming China. He answered this question posted by "Maria" on an AllExperts forum a few days ago: "My jalapenos were doing well up to now but suddenly I'm seeing peppers with a crackled look to their skin. What do you think this is, and does it mean I cannot eat these peppers?"

Here is Don's answer to Maria: "The cracked look to the skin is natural. It means that the peppers should be picked and consumed. If you wish to wait until a few turn red then you can dry and smoke them. I grow jalapenos commercially in Northern Thailand and Kunming China. The weather in Thailand is hot. Now we are in the rainy season and growing is difficult. In Kunming the weather is cooler and they grow better there. Best wishes."

I'm certain Don's answer was very helpful to Maria. Now here is one more question. What do you call a dried and smoked jalapeno? Answer: a chipotle chili. The chipotle trend is probably one of the strongest in the chili world right now. There are chipotle sauces showing up everywhere. Some people like them. Some people don't. I believe there are more people who like them, but maybe that's just because I like them. What do you think?

No comments: